Martis Camp Community Foundation has successful summer
The Martis Camp Community Foundation contributed over $100,000 to local non-profits and member charities through the last 10 months. Highlights are as follows:
- The presentation of the first Denise Martinez Scholarship to a Truckee High School senior. Savannah Graham was chosen from dozens of her peers, as the best representative of Denise’s ideals of scholarship, work ethic, community service and love of golf. Financial need is also a consideration. The scholarship is for $10,000, paid in $2,500 annual installments, as long as the student maintains a GPA of 3.0 or better. Savannah and her mother were surprised and delighted by the award.
- We held the first of the summer’s events on June 25th. The Summer Solstice Golf Tournament was held amid unusually windy conditions for June. The winning team was the foursome of Kevin Andrews, Art Chapman, Brett Reed, and Nathan Riedel. Young Life and MCCF shared the proceeds from the event, with $20,000 going to Young Life and $8,600 to MCCF.
- The Martis Camp Home Tour was held on Sunday, August 5, which supports the MCCF and Excellence in Education. Five distinctive homes were featured on the tour, as well as the new Lookout Lodge. The event raised over $40,000 for Excellence in Education, and $8,500 for MCCF.
- The first annual Martis Camp 5K Fun Run was held on Saturday, August 18, to benefit the MCCF. Approximately 50 members participated, from competitive runners to pregnant walkers with toddlers in tow! It raised $580 for MCCF, and we hope to grow this into a Martis Camp signature event, with music and a BBQ in the future.
- We held the annual Martinez Member-Ambassador golf tournament on Sunday, October 7. This is the one event we host annually from which the donations are dedicated to the Denise Martinez Scholarship Fund. 47 members and Ambassadors played in the event which raised $3,600.
- Finally, we contributed to 30 member requested in kind donations to nonprofits in their primary home locations. Through this program, over $50,000 was raised to benefit these entities supported by members of the Club.
In addition to the above contributions, we have given cash grants totaling over $12,000 to the following 501(c)3 charities, and a number of smaller grants to providers of youth activities:
Boys and Girls Club of North Lake Tahoe – $2,000
Project M.A.N.A. – $2,000
Tahoe Safe Alliance – $2,000
Truckee Family Resource Center – $2,500
Humane Association – $1,000
Arts for the Schools – $1,000
Even if you were unable to join us for any of this past year’s great events, we welcome your support. Please consider us when you are planning your tax-deductible contributions before the end of the year. I have enclosed a form to use which allows you to designate where you want your contribution to go, and allows you to charge your member account if you wish. Early in 2013 I will send you details regarding dates of activities in which we would be delighted to see you involved to support the MCCF.
Please feel free to contact me for more information regarding the charities we support, and apprise me of your charitable interests in the area that you would like for us to consider.
December 14, 2012