The Martis Camp Community Foundation had a very busy and successful summer. In total, the Foundation contributed over $425,000 to local non-profits and member charities through the last 9 months. Highlights are as follows:
- The presentation of the second Denise Martinez Scholarship to a Truckee High School senior. Amanda Stewart was chosen from dozens of her peers, as the best representative of Denise’s ideals of scholarship, work ethic, community service and love of golf. She was the captain of her high school golf team her junior and senior years. Financial need is also a consideration. The scholarship is for $10,000, paid in $2,500 annual installments, as long as the student maintains a GPA of 3.0 or better.
- For the first time we held a Summer Solstice dinner and concert, featuring Kix Brooks. Tables sold for $2,500, and we raised $30,000 for MCCF. We awarded six $5,000 grants to Tahoe Safe Alliance, The Humane Association, The Tahoe School of Music, Truckee Boosters, Truckee River Watershed Council, and Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation.
- The Summer Solstice Golf Tournament was nearly rained out this year- but a hardy bunch they were – and 58 players teed off in full rain gear on June 24th. The winning team was the foursome of Ron and Rose Parr and Andy and Leslie Price. MCCF shared in the proceeds from the event, with $4,300 to MCCF.
- The U.S. Junior Amateur Championship was held at Martis Camp this year, and was sponsored by the MCCF and Martis Camp Club. What a spectacular event it was, played in near perfect conditions! MCCF raised the $300,000 necessary to cover the expenses of this endeavor through individual and member donations, corporate donations and advertising revenues.
- The Martis Camp Home Tour was held on Sunday, August 18th, which supports the MCCF and Excellence in Education. Five distinctive homes were featured on the tour. The event raised over $60,000 for Excellence in Education – a 50% increase over last year – and $9,600 for MCCF.
- We partnered with the Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation in granting $15,000 to local nonprofits in recognition of long standing good contributors to the local community.
- We hosted a Paella dinner in support of Seirra Seniors and Project MANA, both worthy non-profits that contribute greatly to the local area.
- Finally, we contributed to 30 member requested in kind donations to nonprofits in their primary home locations. Through this program, over $50,000 was raised to benefit these entities supported by members of the Club.
Even if you were unable to join us for any of this past year’s great events, we welcome your support. Check out our current “Turn a Wish into a Smile” campaign, where you can buy chances for a four-night stay in a cabin, plus dinner by Chef Shawn and two gold passes. The drawing will be held at the member Christmas party, and will raise money for the Foundation’s general fund. Remember, every dollar raised is given to local charities!
Please consider us when you are planning your tax-deductible contributions before the end of the year. You can make a contribution at the link here. Please feel free to contact me for more information regarding the charities we support, and apprise me of your charitable interests in the Truckee/North Lake Tahoe area that you would like for us to consider.
Warmest holiday wishes,